In Honor of “With a Friend Like Gary” 1st Year Anniversary I Present To You…
January 15, 2014
My top 10 favorite films I watched in 2013 that are not from 2013…
With all the “Top of 2013″ lists buzzing around I thought I’d do something a little different and bring some attention to films that may have been forgotten about or overlooked from years past…
I’ve kept a log of each movie I’ve watched (for the first time; movies previously seen excluded) since the summer of 2010; in 2013 I watched 143 movies and most of them I felt strongest about were released in prior years…
10. FISH TANK – British film about a rebellious teenage girl struggling to progress in her environment. Pretty good film. Co-starring Michael Fassbender
9. SIMON KILLER – Interesting film about a pathological liar who is either a sociopath or on the brink of insanity.
8. DONKEY PUNCH – British thriller about a group of partiers spending the night on a boat and living it up until crazy event after crazy event transpire that would make Hitchcock proud.
7. 388 Arletta Avenue – Thriller/Mystery that starts out slow, but once it gets going becomes pretty intense and leads up to a pretty shocking conclusion that is not for the squeamish.
6. STRICTLY SEXUAL – Low-budget comedy that analyzes the ins-and-outs of relationships, men and women, and why most relationships fail; this is quite funny and has solid acting.
5. THE CHAMELEON – Inspired by a true story, this is a thriller/mystery about what happens when a young boy goes missing and surfaces years later; loaded with good actors – and this young guy Marc-Andre Grondin is quite talented.
4. RUBBERNECK – Thriller about a socially-awkward guy who becomes obsessed with his co-worker; this film creates some truly uncomfortable moments. I credit it to the strong performance of the lead and the director. This one also keeps you guessing as you’re never sure what’s about to happen.
3. THE HUNT – Thought-provoking drama about an innocent male kindergarten teacher accused of a wrong he didn’t commit. Mads Mikkelsen. Nuff’ said.
2. MAY – Horror/thriller about an odd and strange woman who was born with a severe lazy-eye and is descending into insanity; very weird movie. Just the way I like them.
1. SLEEP TIGHT – Spanish thriller about a depressed and deranged concierge who goes to extreme measures to ensure the tenants of the building suffer and are as miserable as he is; this one is pretty unpredictable, so of course I like it.
Have you seen any of these? What did you think of the ones you’ve viewed?